Several readers asked about the Mafia Sandwich TWC mentioned. It's a sandwich that exists in nature I suppose, but I claim to have invented it. Or at least tweaked it into my own. The recipe goes something like this:
- Bake or grill an appropriate number of spicy or sweet Italian sausages
- When finished, slice them lengthwise in half
- Open up a sourdough or french roll (hoagie roll, sub sandwich roll, etc--lots of different names for these in different parts of the country, but you know pretty much what I mean)
- Librully apply marinara sauce to both sides
- Next place the the sausages on the roll
- Cover the sausages with thinly sliced peppers and onions that you've sauteed in olive oil (try bells to begin with and then experiment--I like to add pepperoncini after the sandwich comes out of the broiler)
- Add grated mozzarella and a little parmesan
- Slide under the broiler until the cheese is browned
- Fold the top back over the bottom and, voila!
For a change up, throw on some sliced mushrooms and black olives.
TWC 🍷Photo Credit (unless otherwise noted): ©TWC, all rights reserved