Good Morning Gentle Readers,
This amazing soup is delicious enough to be served at a five star eatery, easy to make, and nutritious.
Here at Casa de las Rocas Grandes we do a lot of cooking by the seat of our pants. Keep in mind that the recipe proportions are approximate and require a flair for intuitive cooking.
- 3/4 lb of asparagus (reserve some tips for garnish)
- 1 onion
- chicken stock
- olive oil
- bacon (optional)
- crispy onions, homemade** or packaged
- A stainless dutch oven works well to prepare this soup because it can be a one pot dish. However, any good sized pot can work.
- Chop one small onion and sauté in butter and olive oil. The oil helps keep the butter from burning and adds a bit of flavor.
- When the onion becomes slightly translucent and limp, add chopped asparagus to the pot or dutch oven and continue to sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add chicken stock until the vegetables are completely covered and then simmer until the asparagus is fork tender.
- While the soup is cooking, steam some asparagus spears for garnish.
- Whirl the soup in a blender or food processor until desired consistency is acheived.
- Pour into large serving bowl and whisk in about a half cup of cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with steamed asparagus tips and crispy onions or bacon
Photo Note: TWC could not find his own pictures of the actual soup so he borrowed an image that is similar to Mrs TWC's soup.
**Onion Note: Lidia S suggested making crispy onions by oven baking at 145 degrees on a cookie sheet dehydrating them in a dehydrator. The oven method may or may not work.
TWC 🍷Photo Credit (unless otherwise noted): ©TWC, all rights reserved